Be aware that NTU iPhones only have a 1GB data bundle as standard. If you expect to use more than this you should do one of the following:
a) Get a dedicated data SIM for the iPad/Tablet (if the tablet has a SIM slot)
b) Add an extra Data bundle to your iPhone tariff
c) Get a purchase a Mobile Wi-Fi unit from Vodafone with a dedicated data SIM
Make sure that you have an iPhone 3G or later. Only these generations of iPhones support tethering.
To activate Tethering / Personal Hotspot: (Note: the images used are from an iPhone 4, other devices may vary slightly)
- On your iPhone, tap Settings > General > Network/Mobile Data.
- Tap the Personal Hotspot option.
- Tap the Wi-Fi Password option. This will enable you to prevent unauthorized devices from connecting.
- Type your desired password and tap Done.
- Slide the Personal Hotspot option from OFF to ON to enable Internet sharing. The phone will create a Wi-Fi network with the same name as your iPhone device name (John's iPhone, for example).
To connect your other devices to the phone's Internet connection, add them to the Wi-Fi network that the phone created, using the same process you would for any other Wi-Fi network. Use the following steps to do this on an iPad:
- On your iPad, tap Settings > Wi-Fi
- Tap on the Wi-Fi network name from step 5 above. You will be asked to enter the password, then press Done.
- You should then be connected to your iPhone’s Hotspot
You can also see when someone has connected to your Hotspot on your iPhone, a notification like the one below will appear
When you're done sharing the phone's Internet connection, you can disable sharing on the phone to disconnect all of the other devices:
- On your iPhone, tap Settings > Personal Hotspot
- Slide the Personal Hotspot option from ON to OFF to disable Internet sharing.