Disclaimer: This can be used as an alternative to the main method, but we recommend using the normal method where possible. The app (currently: V1.8) currently seems safe but please use you own judgement.
Install the app called: iCal Sync by Khaos from the Google Play Store.Other apps do the same thing but this one worked within IS and was free. (Go to https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kc.and.ical or search for iCalSync in
Once the app is installed, in your device’s browser, navigate to your NTU Timetable either in NOW or on the Staff Portal, and select “Subscribe to iCal”.
You should then be taken to the following screen
- Hold your finger on “Access Calendar Feed” until a menu pops up and select Copy link URL
- Now go to Accounts and Sync in Settings and tap on Add Account
- Scroll through the list of account types and tap on iCal Sync
- Set a name e.g. NTU Timetable and a colour for your timetable to be displayed in on your calendar
- Check the type is URL
Tap on URL and tap on it again in the URL screen, then paste the link you copied earlier. The URL that will be pasted will begin webcal://elearn.ntu.ac.uk/... please change webcal to http otherwise it will stick at the reading calendar stage, and then select OK. So "webcal://elearn.ntu.ac.uk/resources/ttredirect.asp?uid=1234" becomes "http://elearn.ntu.ac.uk/resources/ttredirect.asp?uid=1234"
- Return to the main Account Setup screen, tap on the Sync interval option and choose your sync interval, 2 hours is normally a good amount
- You can choose other options such as allowing your device to give reminders before events, and once you are happy tap on Save
- Your accounts screen should now show the timetable in the list with whatever name you gave it
- There should be a notification telling you that it is Reading calendar
- Once it has imported, go to your device’s calendar app, select calendars and check it is listed and enabled. It should now appear within your calendar
How to add/configure reminders
Depending on your phone, your calendar application may also offer settings for setting reminders.
You can control the reminders via the account setup panel for the ICalSync application. Open the panel via "accounts and sync" and scroll to the reminders section.
The current icalender file doesn't contain any explicit alerts so the "Default reminder" option will be the one you are interested in.
Tick the option and select the "time span" you would like and then click "Save".